Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Reading Challenges

It's a bit late in the year, but I still decided to commit myself to a few reading challenges. To organize my reading and writing down my thoughts in English. I don't know if I'm able to produce any decent book reviews (it's been a while since I last wrote endless number of esseys on books in high- school), more so in English. But I think a little bit of mental challenge is good for me right now.
So I'm new in book blogging, not so new in reading though.
I intend to participate in 2 challenges, some books will count for both challenges.
Here are my initial lists which I may change according to if I get all the books I intend to read.


My goal is to read at least 5 books from my list.

1. The Winter War by Antti Tuuri (translated from Finnish). Finnish-Russian war in 1939-1940.
2. The Living and the Dead by Konstantin Simonov (translated from Russian). Chaos on Eastern front in 1941.
3.Fires on the Plain by Shohei Ooka (translated from Japanese). Lost Japanese soldier in the Philippines.
4.Maus II. A Survivor's Tale. And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman. Holocause story, graphic.
5.April in Paris by Michael Wallner (translated from German). German soldier in Paris, French resistance.
6.A Woman in Berlin. Eight Weeks in the Conquered City. A Diary by Anonymous (translated from German). April-June 1945 in Berlin after the Russians had taken the city.
7.A Soldier's Legacy by Heinrich Böll (translated from German). German soldier in Normandy and on the Eastern front in 1943.
8.The Silence of the Sea by Vercors (translated from French). German soldier in France.
9.The Emigrants by W.G. Sebald (translated from German). Emigrants, concequences of the WW II and the Holocaust.
10.The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer. American soldiers on a Pacific island.
11.Ahasveeruse uni by Ene Mihkelson (in Estonian). Postwar years in Estonia. or Graves Without Crosses by Arved Viirlaid (translated from Estonian). Postwar years in Estonia, "forest-brothers" or Memories Denied by Imbi Paju (translated from Estonian) - 20th century history of Estonia, postwar years, Stalin's repressions.



My initial reading list:

1. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (translated from French) - Iran
2.Fires on the Plain by Shohei Ooka (translated from Japanese) - Japan
3.April in Paris by Michael Wallner (translated from German) - Germany or The Soldier's Legacy by Heinrich Böll (translated from German) - Germany or The Emigrants by W.G. Sebald (translated from German) - Germany.
4.The GULAG Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (translated from Russian) - Russia
5.The Winter War by Antti Tuuri (translated from Finnish) - Finland
6.To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf - UK
7. The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow - USA or The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer - USA
8.Gate of the Sun by Elias Khoury (translated from Arabic) - Lebanon.
9. Black Docker by Sembene Ousmane (translated from French) - Senegal
10.Fragments of Memory: A Story of a Syrian Family by Hanna Minah (translated from Arabic) - Syria.
11.The Harp and the Shadow by Alejo Carpentier (translated from Spanish) - Cuba or Terra Nostra by Carlos Fuentes - Mexico
12.Native Realm. A search for Self-Defination by Czeslaw Milosz (translated from Polish) - Poland.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for signing up for our WWII reading challenge. Glad to have you on board. I look forward to your reviews. Just email us the links at warthroughgenerations at hotmail dot com, and we'll be happy to feature them on the site. I've added you to the participants page on War Through the Generations

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric